A little of history, above all:
The Moses Fountain Complex was built in 1585-1587 as the terminus of the new Felix Aqueduct (Acquedotto Felice) that lengthened the III Century Roman aqueduct called “Alessandrino” with the purpose to provide the Viminale and Quirinale Hills - Two of the seven legendary hills on which the Eternal City was built – with fresh water gushing out in Palestrina, a lovely and healthy district South-West of Rome.
Creator of the project was Pope Sixtus the Fifth who asked Giovanni and Domenico Fontana to design and manage the construction of the monument.
The Fountain’s main elevation is divided in three arched spaces, each with a sculpture placed within the niches. In the central niche a Moses sculpted by Leonardo Sormani and Prospero Antichi stands, showing to his people water that miraculously springs out from the rocks in Sinai desert during the Exodus.
The aqueduct still works and the hydraulic system is still visible in the basement of the building.
The upper floors originally hosted the fountain keeper’s workshop and apartment. In these spaces some rooms drew out in the absolute respect of the building and site’s inheritance.